Monday, September 26, 2016

What Have I Learned Today...Sept. 26

             I am 'adjusting' this title a bit....to "A lesson I have re-learned yesterday".  I know I am a rebel, Master has not completely tamed me...LOL.
           I had the wonderful experience yesterday of attending a celebration for a lovely friend who turned 90!  She is amazing,  we met when she retired from her 'first' job, and decided she was bored and became an aide where I was teaching.  She always started the day with a bright smile..that was still there at the end of the day, she made the best Italian cookie trays, and always was ready to do anything she could to make your day better. Since her 'second' retirement, she volunteers for a soup kitchen, plays bingo weekly, and is enjoying her twin great -grands who are 3 months old.  She is the lady we all want to be at 90 or 80 or 70!
         The party was in a party room of a restaurant, I walked in to see 10 tables, each seating 10 to 12....by lunch time there was not an empty chair.  There was assigned seating, I was seated with friends and former colleagues.  She only had one daughter and one grand-daughter and this was a ladies only lunch..so the place was full with  friends....what an amazing tribute!  After lunch her daughter spoke and said this was her thank you for us...for making her life so much brighter, so much fun.  
     Her daughter then started with the group at table #1 and told us why they were special to her mom.  She did this for each table, telling us why her mom was grateful for having us in her life.  I know at our table, the tears were flowing and I am sure we were not the only ones.
             The lesson I re-learned....you never know how important you can be to a person you meet, to a casual friend, or colleague, or even a good friend or family member....and I dare say even a stranger.  So be kind, smile, try to make someone else's day brighter....they might want to thank you when they celebrate their 90th birthday!
hugs abby

16 comments:

  1. Wow! That's amazingly awesome, so special and very inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a wonderful afternoon. A room full of people of all ages coming together and celebrating each other.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  2. Wow Abby! What an awesome example for all of us! Her daughter sounds just as special as she is. Thank you for sharing such a lovely experience.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her daughter and her grand-daughter have followed in her footsteps. I am glad I had the privilege of getting to know them all.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  3. Abby that is so special. What a wonderful life that lady has lived, along the way meeting all those people who have meant something to her.
    Thank you for sharing.
    hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like all lives she has had her struggles, but she fought through them...a wonderful example of a life well lived.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  4. Wow Abby, what a wonderful story and a truly amazing lady. Thank you for sharing,this really made me smile :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still smiling at the memory also.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  5. how lovely...sounds like an wonderful lady...and you, too! :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I can only aspire to accomplish all she has...
      hugs abby

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post abby. It had to gladden the heart of everyone at the lunch - what a special person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there were lots of smiles going around, and I bet they are still smiling.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  7. What a lovely story Abby. She sounds like a special lady.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very special, I am lucky to have known her for so long.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Truly, just her style to give all of us a wonderful gift on her birthday.
      hugs abby

      Delete