Saturday, September 17, 2016

One Thing To Do Today....Sept. 17

   Well, it is Saturday.  On Saturday's I usually grocery shop...and that would make for a very boring post.  While I was walking this morning I came up with an idea....a history of the different 'ages'...according to me.... of grocery shopping. (If you stop reading now, no one could blame you).
           College age....usually about the first time most people shop on their own.  Friday afternoon after the last class for the week, you run in to the closest grocery, or small corner store, for a beer run, chips and pretzels and donuts for the following week to eat on the way to that darn early class.  If it is a special weekend...cheese and crackers might also be on the 
list. 
           College grad, might also be newly married. You are too busy working during the week to worry much about food, but on weekends it is dinner party time. Friday night you scour the recipe books to find something new to try.  You might have to shop at more than one store to find all the ingredients, but it is worth it.  
                Young mom...in my case it was 3 babes in 4 years.  Grocery shopping takes up almost 1/2 day, getting all the kids into the car seats and out again, convincing the 4 year old that yes she can walk, there is no room in the basket since her brother is there, and I do have to put groceries in the basket also.  Every  time you reach to put something in the basket you have to check to make sure you still have all three kids.  When you finally get home, you find all sorts of things you did not intend to buy...all the bottom shelf stuff the walking child put in the basket.
                Mother of teenagers...they will not go near a grocery store with you....or any place else.  That is good because they eat so much you need all the cart space you can get.  You try to remember what is each one's favorite snack and breakfast cereal and sandwich meat...but of course you have to make a second trip.
                   Empty nester....grocery shopping is a quick run in for a few things...unless the grands are coming. When making a meal, you plan on having leftovers...at least once.  Then there is the special senior discount at the small diners near by....a much better idea than cooking.
                   Since this is about food, thought I would update you on my low/no carb challenge.  It will be 2 weeks on Monday...out a planned 4 week challenge....on Monday.  So far I have loss 6 pounds, which is great, since last week I was under the weather and gave up on the walking.  It has not been horrible, I rarely feel hungry, but then again, eating eggs for breakfast every day is a challenge.  Today I had cashews and cheese for breakfast...
Last night  my daughter told me she could not live like this forever and will be glad when the next two weeks are over....I quickly agreed.  I think I officially went into carb withdrawal today..I was watching a Denny's commercial for their new light and fluffy pancakes.  I am thinking, they look so good, I want, need those pancakes.  Now, I have not been to Denny's in a couple of years, and only then because the grands insisted.  They are lots of great diner type places around here. And..I do not like pancakes..even with chocolate chips, strawberries and whipped cream....I cannot remember the last time I ate pancakes. I took a deep breath, reminded myself of the above and....changed the channel.
hugs abby
                     
                  

13 comments:

  1. For me it was similar: college, go to the tiny store and only spend $30, mostly on ramen and mac and cheese.

    Newly married: go once a week or every two weeks and buy huge amounts of stuff that would keep, because no time, too much working.

    Little kids; try to shop on the weekend or at night so I didn't have to do it with babies and toddlers. The babies would always fall asleep in the car and it would ruin nap time. Usually end up having to shop with them during the week anyway and it was horrible.

    Teens: buy everything in the store but it is never the RIGHT thing. It's all gone in two days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh...the good old days...NOT!
      hugs abby

      Delete
  2. LOL Abby...your ages of grocery shopping sound very familiar with just a few variations. My favorite is sending hubby to get 2 things and having him come home with several bags of groceries but forgot the 2 things! I got more than one barn burner for my response, including eye roll to that situation. LOL

    You are a much braver soul than I am to cut carbs for 4 weeks! Had my yearly checkup yesterday...my doctor and I spoke about my love of potatoes...they are my go to comfort food. Basically, he told me to cut down a bit but not cut them out so will see what I can do. LOL

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 2 more weeks....I am trying to channel that little red engine...I think I can, I think I can...
      hugs abby

      Delete
  3. I get that way with pizza commercials.

    Congrats on the weight loss. I keep thinking I'm going to do then eat a load of fruit or some other 'forbidden' item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...how earth can fruit be bad for you???
      hugs abby

      Delete
  4. Funny how our food shopping changes over the years depending on our situation. I'm happy for my hubby to do the shopping these days as it bores me.
    You're doing well on your low carb diet.

    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky girl...does he stick to a list? Thanks, half was there with the diet.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  5. i love your analysis of how our shopping changes over time! And i'm impressed with your success on your low carb diet. i might have to try that myself. Except i'm like Leigh, whenever i think i'm going to do it, some kind of deprivation syndrome kicks in and i immediatley increase my carbs. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL..thanks, it helps having my daughter and I do it together.....there's plenty of food...just no the good stuff.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  6. You know...you can make no carb pancakes using almond flour and coconut flour (of course no syrup) but it is possible :-) I am trying to work myself up to the no-carb no dairy no sugar challenge - have done it before and can do it again - just having a hard time getting motivated...trying to take your advice from one of your other posts and just do it! :-) Congratulations - you are doing great! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. correction...it would be low-carb not no carb... I have done no grains, no dairy, no sugar...have never done no carbs :-)

      Delete
  7. I am doing low carb, my daughter no carb. And thanks for the hint, my daughter did make low carb pumpkin muffins this week.....they are delicious!
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete