Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Sub Drop

      In my comments section of a recent post, a couple people asked for an explanation of sub drop.  My teacher training returned, and i figured if 2 people asked, more are probably wondering.  I did a little research and from my most recent experience i have some knowledge to impart.  But i am going to ask those of you who are more 'in the know' to please add to  the discussion.

     Sub drop occurs when one goes from an endorphin high back to 'normalcy'...i put normalcy in quotes, since i consider that a pretty subjective term.  So, during a long or intense play session our body releases endorphins, that is what makes us raise our bottom for more, sends us to a place where the pain is not the the most important sensation, leaves us thinking...WOW!  I guess similar to a state of euphoria.  
    When the endorphins recede, the high feeling becomes a low feeling....the higher the high, the lower the low can be.  In my case, at first i thought i was getting the flu or a bad cold...that feeling that all was not right.  I woke up exhausted, one of the great joys of retirement is being able to roll back and go back to sleep.  I awoke a bit more rested, but still feeling very melancholy.  I turned on the the TV and the talk show i was watching made me tear up.  That is when i started to wonder what the heck was going on???
    Quite by chance i had read an article a couple of weeks ago on sub drop.  Master and i had a fairly intense play time on Thursday.  A light bulb went on, and i decided to just be extra nice to myself during the day, took a nap, and i was feeling better by the time evening came along.  In the article i read, it said the sub drop could last a few days.
A way to help prevent sub drop is with after care....being held, snuggling, hydrating, etc.
    Now, Master and i have been at this a while and this is the first time i can recall feeling such a way.  Master always, always, is wonderful with after care.  After a punishment it consists of hugs and the knowledge that all is forgiven, and His checking on me to be sure i am OK.  After play sessions, the after care consists of many hugs, cuddles, snuggling on His lap, caresses, soft, sweet chats, naps...you get the idea.  There was after care on Thursday, but sub drop occurred anyway.  
      Hope this helps....
hugs abby

21 comments:

  1. Sorry if this is TMI, but when I experienced it I thought I was getting my period early. I also had the teariness and exhausted feeling. I attributed it to the baby keeping me up and general hormones. It took a few days to consider that it could be something else. I found that chocolate is helpful. Sir is also really good with aftercare, I think this is something that someone can experience even if their Dom is perfect. An occupational hazard, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too much TMI. I knew chocolate was good for everything! I agree,,,,an occupational hazard. Thanks for the comment.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the explanation Abby...I really do love learning new things. Hope you don't experience sub drop anymore...doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was mostly confusing, until i started to have a hint as to what was happening.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  3. thank-you for sharing...I have never reached that point...but it is good information to have because if ever it did happen I imagine it might feel a little worrisome if you do not know what it was. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, once i figured out what was happening, i was not worried. It is good to know that hydration, sleep, and chocolate are helpful!
      hugs abby

      Delete
  4. I hate sub drop. I'm pretty sure I've gotten it a few times. One thing I try to do immediately afterwards, when I'm still on that high, is drink lots of water. It seems to help. Also, I try not to write a lot when I'm in the high. I'll recant when I feel the drop to help stabilize it.

    During my drops, especially if I haven't heard from Him, I get agitated and almost embarrassed by what I did. The thoughts aren't great. So, I write, trying to focus on His words and actions. It helps reassure me.

    Glad you were able to define it was sub drop and handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll also take an ibprofuren that night when we have played hard, that left energized for hours.

      Delete
    2. The ibuprofren is a good idea thanks! I have orders to let Him know immediately next time...that should help.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  5. Hi Abby, thank you for posting this. Good information! I guess the trick is to be able to recognise sub drop as I'm sure it probably manifests skight differently for each person. After care seems to be the key, although it can still happen regardless.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Master is great at after care, so i think it might lessen it, it will probably still happen. Master has bee 'stepping it up' lately...that might have something to do with it also.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  6. Hi Abby, great that you wrote this down. The way I experience sub drop is almost identical to what CollaredMom wrote. And aftercare does help a lot to minimize the effect, though I still have it on occasion. Apart from snuggling, cuddling, talking or simply sleeping in his arms we have also learned that drinking a lot of water helps much. So, sometimes we have juice, fruit and similar things right at hand, something I can absolutely recommend, as it prolongs an exciting and pleasant time enormously too! Imagine a sort of midnight dinner; very hobbit-like. :D

    hugs

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the hint.....some cut up fruit, light snack and hydration.....a great way to end a 'session'.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you described this. I don't think we have ever reached that point where I would experience sub drop. I wonder if one has a sub space experience, would you experience the sub drop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm.... i don't think one necessarily follows the other......i have a few times, been in sub space, but this was the first time i realized i was experiencing the drop.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the explanation. Can this happen over a long period of time? Several days, a couple of weeks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...good question....not that i have hears of....a couple of days is possible, especially if you are not sure what is going on.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  9. She often says she feels like jello or feels shaky after an intense session. I then put on what I call her cuddling shawl and we cuddle as she recovers.

    FD

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard about sub drop from some fiction that I have read. I am sorry that you experienced it all, Abby...

    I guess that it makes sense physiologically, and so the fix would be to gradually bring the endorphins down as much as possible, I am guessing. Chocolate sounds like a great idea, and the fruit and drink to go along with lots of TLC.

    Thank you for talking about this so that we have some awareness. Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was more weird than awful. I have strict orders that next time, i let Him know immediately....
      hugs abby

      Delete
  11. The closest feeling of sub-drop for me didn't last into the day (or days). A few times, after a very intense session pushing my limits I have become almost panicked when I am released from my restraints. I remember one time when he unhooked my restraints and I fell to his feet and begged him not to leave me or to chain me back up if he went away. Saying this without being in the situation sounds silly really but when I felt that- I was honestly in a state of panic for him to not be near me and for me to be "free". We are married, we live together, he goes nowhere afterwards, but the thought of disconnecting our bond(age) is sometimes overwhelming.
    Great topic abby! Thanks for the great chat!
    XOXO Pearl

    ReplyDelete