Sunday, September 28, 2014

Saying Good-bye

         My mom and dad reunited yesterday, i know she missed him very much over the last three years, and He has been....not so always patiently...waiting for her.
          The last 3 days have been difficult ones, her breathing becoming more labored with each breath, her attempts at communication frustrating her....but there were also many special moments.
           My siblings and i do not always see 'eye to eye', but we do know how to support each other in times of sadness, times when we take turns being 'the strong one' for the others.
           I had the honor of spending mom's last night with her..we were taking turns, not ever leaving her alone.  I was awake all night, holding her hand, talking quietly to her, listening to her take each breath then listening to hear the next one.  She had a couple moments of awareness, and during the last one, i looked at her and said....'I love you more'...it is how our family ends most of our conversations, thanks to mom....she in a voice that i could had to hold my breath to hear....replied...' no, I love you more'.  I squeezed her hand, touched her face and said, 'i guess i love you the same, then'......she replied.....' yes, the same, that is good'.  Those were her last words.
                    She was such an example of how to live your life.  She taught many about unconditional love.  She did not always agree with, or understand some of the choices others made in life, but she did not let that diminish her love for them one bit...and they knew it.  Her grands and great- grands knew that a visit to memere's met fun and treats and lots of hugs   and kisses.  She will be missed by many.....
    You taught me so much about life mom....all of the important lessons a few of them ....
       .....don't hold a grudge
       .....always forgive
       ......giving of yourself to others is the best gift
      .......love with no strings attached
      .......have fun....and that includes dancing on tables!
I love you the same mom.....
hugs abby
                

31 comments:

  1. Dear abby,
    My well meant condolences with your loss. You knew it was coming, but of course when the mement is there, it is hard to accept.
    On the other hand it is a consolation your Mom now isn't suffering any more and you were there until the end.
    I wish you all stregth you need for the coming difficult days.

    hugs,

    appy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gift - your mom, her life, and your last moments with her. All the best through the coming days and weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry Abby. What a wonderfully wise and loving mother you had. I am so glad your parents are together now.
    I have thought of you often. From what I see you epitomize the same caring philosophy that your mother practiced!

    ReplyDelete
  4. abby, my thoughts, prayers and condolences are with you and your family. This is so beautiful. Minelle is right, you do epitomize what your mother practiced. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mother took care of you to the end, allowing you in the family the time to realize it was going to happen no matter how much you wished it wasn't true. And you were with her when she passed. I was there in the last moments with my mom too and I'll always be grateful for that gift. I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts and prayers go out to you- It is never easy to say goodbye- however you and your Mom did it with dignity and love. May your sorrow be eased by wonderful memories.

    ~faithful

    ReplyDelete
  7. ((Hugs)) Saying goodbye is never easy but the love is evident in every word you wrote. A precious gift from your mother that you will always carry with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. abby... I am a puddle of tears. What a lovely memory to store and what a lovely tribute. Girls and their Moms... such a complicated relationship, but one you apparently were able to rejoice in. Lots of loves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Wanted to let you know I am still thinking about you. Hope everything is...as good as it can be.

      Hug

      Delete
  10. I'm very sorry for your loss, Abby. My sincerest condoleances. The way you could say goodbye sounds warm and loving. She will live forever in your heart.

    Take care of yourself and those who love you,
    Han

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry for your loss my friend. At least she is no longer suffering and with others who love her on the other side of the veil. Take care, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heartfelt condolences to you and your family. Take care of yourself through coming days and weeks as you say your goodbyes.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Abby, sending you the biggest of hugs! Sound like your mom was a very special lady! I think that dancing on tables sounds like a whole lot of fun!

    I'm glad that you had that time with her. Those I love yous are like bright stars in the dark night! Special. Thinking of you! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very sorry, Abby. Your mother sounds like such a loving mum. I know you will miss her but you have such wonderful memories.

    Thinking of you and sending you lots of hugs and prayers both for now and for the days to come.

    Ami

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh sweet Abby...I am sorry for your loss. I know your mom had to be a special lady because you are. Sending lots of hugs, prayers and healing energy.

    Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thinking of you Abby. So glad you were there and so sorry too. As you know I am where you were a few days ago. Hugs and thoughts go with you and your family xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gentle hugs to you and yours. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry for your loss abby. You were so lucky to have had her so long and I guess your dad didn't want to wait any longer. I'm sure there up there dancing away.

    Hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love and hugs your way abby.
    XOXO Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  20. Abby I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you grieve what sounds like a magnificent woman. Thank you for sharing her last moments, I hope you hold those words in your heart forever. Hugs from afar.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  21. Abby I am so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. My deepest condolences. Your Mom sounds as those she was a very special and loving lady. I'm glad you were able to have some special time with her.

    (((Hugs)))
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Abby I am so sorry for your loss, am thinking of you
    lots of love Jan,xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry for what you're going through; it is very hard to lose someone you love. Your words of her were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so sorry, Abby. Those special moments this past week are a gift for both you and her. Hold onto all of the wonderful memories. You are in my thoughts!!

    Hugs,
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so sorry for your loss. She sounds like an amazing woman. Hold onto those memories. Much love and light and hugs, Terps

    ReplyDelete
  26. Abby, I'm sorry that your mother is gone but glad you were able to get those last moments with her.
    What nice words to remember ...

    Now it's your turn to follow her advice and give it all you got out of her on to the next generations as you probably already do.

    She will still be with you all the time anyway .. in your heart and in your soul.
    you can feel blessed, Abby. to have had her as your mother.

    Hugs and love,
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  27. My prayers are with you. So sorry for your loss. Thank God you have the memories in your heart forever.

    ReplyDelete