Saturday, September 20, 2014

Promoting the fight against Bullying....

         Mona Lisa  posted about Joining the Fight Against Bullying...I originally put that as my title...but I have been in the fight for a very long time.
          My first teaching job was in a K--8 school.  It was wonderful, I taught 6/7/8 grade English.  There were many times that i had the privilege of teaching every child in the family.  It was a very close knit community. Still today, many of the students will contact me, hug me when we meet accidentally ....I have wonderful memories...and one memory that always brings tear to my eyes.
         Danny was a 6th grade student.  I had taught his two older sisters, one of them had invited me to her High School breakfast for a teacher we will never forget.  I was close to the kids and the parents.  Danny was a small boy, not athletic, more of a book worm.  He struggled to fit in...and he was an 'easy' target.  Danny was in professional counseling...the last report from the counselor was the his self image was improving, and she was going to recommend an end to the counseling.
         Two weeks after that report, Danny hung himself.  His sister's found him.  I will never forget that phone call, going to the home of the family, hugging the parents, sitting with the 2 girls, trying to somehow comfort.  I will never forget  having to tell classmates....Danny was in my homeroom, by request....Danny did not mean to die, He was just asking for help, and discussing how we treat each other...and bullying...i was blunt...
I will always remember Danny's parents hugging me at the wake, thanking me for all I did for him...when all I felt was that I had failed him. I will never forget taking a group of 11 and 12 year olds to their first funeral...for a classmate.  I will never forget being at the cemetary  and watching as Danny's parents refused to leave their son for the last time.  Most of all I will  never forget Danny...On the weekend that he died, I still shed tears....I promised Danny that i would do all i could to prevent bullying.
           At my next job in a 7/8th grade school and friend and I piloted a new 
anti-bullying program.  We met weekly, we had workshops, I re-told Danny's story.  I hope it helped, at least a little.  Truth be told, there is still bullying, maybe it is even more rampant.  It has to be stopped.  Mona posted this anti-bullying pledge...

     This is for me....
      my friends today.....
     And my friends tomorrow.

     I think being mean stinks..
     I won't watch someone get picked on.
   
     Because I am a do-something person...
     not a do-nothing person.

     I care....I can help change things
     I can be a leader.

     In my world there are NO bullies allowed.

     Bullying is bad...
     bullying bites....
     Bullying bothers me.

      I know sticking up for someone is the right thing to do...
      My name is abby
      and I won't stand by
      i will stand up.

hugs abby

18 comments:

  1. Oh Abby...how horrible for you and his family...what pain he must have felt. The said thing is that bullying doesn't just happen in school...it also happens in the workplace. I could go on and on...*sigh*. Thank you for joining the anti-bullying crew...definitely standing with you!

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bullying happens in many venues....and cyber bullying is makes it even easier. The pain and damage caused is tremendous.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  2. Oh Abby, what an awful thing to happen, poor little boy. I am sorry that you had to go through that too. Bullying is so terrible and just so unnecessary somehow. What a pointless thing to do to someone
    love Jan,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that I was there at that time for a reason....it is a time i will never forget.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  3. Oh Abby, what a terribly sad story. Poor boy ... what he must have gone through. Add cyber bullying to the mix I'm sure it is getting worse. Such an awful and pointless act.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the computer age has made it even easier...so sad.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  4. I am sorry for the pain that child and his family and loved ones felt. My heart reaches out. Bullying is cruel. It hurts one physically, mentally, and emotionally and it needs to stop. I stand with you in support of kindness towards one another. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,progress has been made, but it is too slow and not enough.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  5. Danny's story is so very sad and potential for it to happen again to others is still a very serious problem. I'm so sorry for his family and for you as his teacher. I'm still teaching 11 and 12 year olds so I'm in the middle of this war right now. We are blessed in my little school, in our little corner of the world we are seeing great improvement. I can only hope it spreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope the good does overcome the bad...
      hugs abby

      Delete
  6. Such a powerful story. The world is filled with bullies on small and large levels, ISIS is a prime example.. You wonder if the leaders and followers of these radical groups were always bullies and got away with such behavior - I know this message is viral and global and I hope it strikes everyone so that they stand up and be counted too. I know I will if I encounter it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will take effort from everyone to get this to stop. You make a good point about ISIS.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  7. What a very very sad story Abby! :) There is no excuse to ever treat anyone in that way. I can't even imagine how your student's family must have felt. Awful!

    How wonderful that you were able to get a program going forward to help fight bullying in your school. We say Be Kind Always around this house, and try our best to live that way. I stand with you and Mona Lisa in this battle! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...you are helping...it has to start with the families....and the schools...then hopefully the rest of society will catch on.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  8. Thank you Abby.
    Very strong story ... poor boy.
    I have found inspiration on Han van Meegeren blog.

    Hugs,
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for starting this topic...
      hugs abby

      Delete
  9. I'm also an educator, and I really feel for you, and for the family. My heart is breaking over that story.

    I can only hope that others hearing that story have learned from it, and maybe prevented other issues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I debated about sharing this....but that is my hope also....
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete