Monday, May 26, 2014

Pepere's special potato salad!

           Happy Memorial Day all...

             My dad was not much of a cook.  It was a family tradition when i was growing up that Sunday nights suppers were my dad's responsibility.    They usually rotated between fried balogna sandwiches, hot dogs and scrambled eggs. My father's specialty was reserved for extended family gatherings or occasionally Sunday dinner.  It has become known as Pepere's potato salad. (Pepere is what all his grands and great grands called him)
             He would boil the potatoes with the skins on, peel them while they were still hot and then let them cool.  He would chop them into little cubes, add chopped hard boiled eggs, cukes, onions (in half of the batch), celery and his secret ingredient...sweet pickles.  He used mayo...and some dill ...as the dressing.  I am not a potato salad fan, but i loved this one.  As he worked he always whistled, and when the great grands started to toddle around He would give them the very important job of putting the cukes and pickles into the salad.
              My dad served in the Navy.  He was the youngest of 8 bothers.  They all served during WW II...dad lied about his age, because he did not want to be left behind.  My grandmother's prayers were answered when they all returned....she always said she was one lucky woman.  
           On Memorial Day my daughter lovingly makes pepere's potato salad....minus the whistling.  She did not inherit that gene..she hums.  It conjures up wonderful memories and is her tribute to Him...and to all those who serve their country. I would like to salute and say a heart felt 
THANK YOU to all...
......who are serving our country. Risking their lives, loosing precious time with their families, so that we can enjoy our lives of freedom
.......who are veterans, having fulfilled their service.  Often returning to their loved ones with the visible and invisible scars that such a service can impose.
.........who are no longer with us but served us proudly.
........those who wait for a safe return, giving up precious time together.
........to all those in service to our country..the reservist, first responders...
a very heart felt THANK YOU, we appreciate and value your service.

hugs abby

20 comments:

  1. Lovely anecdote. Sometimes the stories behind the foods are as wonderful as the dishes themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true..potato salad is...potato salad...it is the memories that it brings back are what make is so special. Thanks for commenting..
      hugs abby

      Delete
  2. Happy memories. Enjoy your potato salad today and I agree with you. Blessings to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...it was very good!
      hugs abby

      Delete
  3. Wonderful tribute and memory!
    The potato salad sounds like a keeper!
    Have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend. Memories keep our departed loved ones close by.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  4. Love this tribute and anecdote Abby! Your Peperes potato salad sounds a lot like mine except I don't add dill...I do add my homemade sweet pickle relish. ;) Isn't it funny how a simple recipe can bring back such lovely memories?

    Joining you in thanking all who have sacrificed in service to our country.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm sweet pickle relish...will have to try that. IT is not so much the food, but the memories that we cherish.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  5. What a lovely tribute to your dad Abby. I love that your daughter makes Pepere's potato salad every Memorial Day. Adding my thanks snd grattitude to all those who have served and continue to serve in our allied forces and their families.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As i always tell my kids..it is all about the memories....they become more precious as time goes on.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  6. What a perfect memorial. I hope it was a wonderful day for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....it was a good day!!!
      hugs abby

      Delete
  7. Abby,

    Thanks for sharing this with us. A lovely tribute to your dad.

    My thanks to all those who served are serving and to their families.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ronnie, he was a very special dad and pepere...
      hugs abby

      Delete
  8. What a great thing to do, keeping this family tradition going and remembering on that special day
    love Jan,x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family traditions and memories......invaluable!
      hugs abby

      Delete
  9. Go goodness every post is making me cry today. So often I think of my parents or grandmas cooking and memories come flooding back. Saturday morning my daughter in law served slightly burned has browns and I said I love things burned. Reminds me of my grandma and ma who always cooked on hi because they had a full life and things to do. Places to go. And my son and daughter who were there also said in unison. Maaa. You also did a lot of burning. I couldn't stop laughing. I told my granddaughters who don't want to eat burn that they should appreciate that their mom cooks and has lots of other things to do. So things get burned. :-). Not sure at 3 & 5, they got it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet at 3 and 5 they will have the memory.....my family is so lucky that we still have 4 generations and we got to spend quite a bit of time together....
      hugs abby

      Delete
  10. I loved this post Abby! :) What a wonderful memory for your family to have of your dad! I loved how you talked about your daughter now making this and humming- because that is what she can do. Beautiful!

    Thanks for sharing both the post, as well as the recipe. I think that I may have to try to add sweet pickles the next time we do potato salad. Sounds yummy.

    I am more than appreciative of all who serve us on a daily basis. Great post!! :) Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Katie.....our family is fortunate to have many such memories.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete