Tuesday, April 29, 2014

" I have looked at life from both sides now"

      The title is a quote from a Joni Mitchell song.  I am hoping there are a least a couple of you out there who are as old as i am and remember it!  It refers to seeing both sides of life....which is what my last week has been all about.

   The Saturday before Easter was a day of 2 parties.  We started with a luncheon bridal shower for my niece...a love birds theme.  We had a contest dressing my little grands in 'toilet paper' wedding gowns, we laughed a lot, marveled at the gifts, got caught up on each other's lives.

    After the shower, we switched the decor to.....'My Little Kitty' for a 2  year old party.  With the exception of the cake, we ate the leftovers from the noon time bash, and continued with the party mood.  We were all exhausted by the day's end, but thankful and happy to have spent the day celebrating.

  Easter Sunday we all gathered at my nephew's for Easter dinner.  He managed to put together 3 long tables and fit us all in, and we even switched seats between courses so we could visit with everyone.  The under 6 group, were urging the adults to eat more quickly....they were eager for the egg hunt in the back yard.  Another day of treasured memories.

Monday, i traveled with my son and His family to their home, for some grandma time with his 2 little girls.  Only, by the time we got there, i headed for bed with the flu.  (Turns out we not only shared stories and memories...most of us ended up ill.)  Tuesday was another in bed day, not wanting to share the 'germs', and needing another day to recover.

Wednesday i felt better, and as the girls and i were making plans, i got a call from my sister....she had just called for the ambulance for my mom, who she thought was having a heart attack.  My son asked if i wanted to return and i knew i had to...not only for my mom, but to help my sister who always deals with these things on her own.  I told him i could take the next train out, and be there in about 3 hours.  He said if he drove me it would be quicker, so bless Him, he did.

My mom was in congestive hear failure, and we spent a long day and most of the night waiting to get her into a room.  The doctors said she should be improved the next day, so we left to get some sleep.  The next day, she took a turn for the worse, we called my bothers, and talked about her final wishes.  It was a long and very hard day.  She has always been stubborn...and that trait seemed to pay off.  During the night she rallied, still quite ill, but with a fighting chance.  She fought her way back, and today we transferred her to a rehab facility, while she regains strength and decisions will be made if she can continue to live independently.

My stay at my son's was a whole lot shorter than planned...he offered to switch my tickets for my flight back to next week.  I checked with Master and He said it was my decision.....and He would not tax me for an extended stay. ( He was not here physically, but He made sure i knew that He was 'with me' during all of the past week.  It amazes me, that even when we are apart, He knows what to say and lets me know...often....that He is looking out for me).  I decided not to extend my stay, i really just want and need to be back home....and with Master.  I explained to my son, and He said the ticket offer was good for anytime...so we will try again in June.

Both sides of life....a good reminder to treasure the good times, the special moments, the times when we grow stronger and closer through the worrisome times......

hugs abby

28 comments:

  1. What a good and also rough trip. I'm so sorry - and glad to hear your mom has rallied I know exactly what you mean about home and Master - (and yes - old enough to remember Joni).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home and Master...like finding your safe place!
      hugs abby

      Delete
  2. Hey Abby...happy you enjoyed the parties and Easter celebration...sorry your visit was cut short by your mom's ill health...hopefully, she will continue to improve. I do understand wanting the comfort of home after the stress with your mom. I do remember Joni..."I've looked at life from both sides now from up and down and still somehow..."

    Sending lots of prayers and healing energy for your mom.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...mom is at a rehab facility for at least a week,,,,then we shall see.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  3. Hope you find that comfort and relief from the stress. Sending lots of hugs to you.
    DF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did...have found it....thanks for the hugs.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  4. OH, abby, hundred hugs to you, my friend.
    Take care of yourself, now, rest up, I hope your mother will feel reasonably good again.

    Hugs,
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend. I am feeling much less stressed, mom is slowly improving.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  5. Sending prayers for your mom's recovery. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.....they are helping.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  6. Oh Abby, such a mixed trip. So glad you had a wonderful time together at the parties and Easter celebrations. I am so sorry to hear about your Mom and so glad she rallied. Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you all.

    I'm glad your Master was there for you, even though not in person.

    (((Hugs)))
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good that mom got to enjoy the weekend with us...gave her some great memories to think about.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  7. I certainly remember the song, and you did really get both sides. It's hard dealing with life and death decisions for our parents - hardest thing I've ever done. Glad you have siblings, it really helps. I hope you are enjoying being home with Master. You also raised wonderful kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PK, one of the joys in my life is seeing my kids stay close to their siblings...
      hugs abby

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks....life is a road of twists and turns.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  9. I do remember the song and as PK said you had both sides of life. You are so lucky to still have your mom, I am so envious. Glad she was able to rally. Your family sounds absolutely wonderful and supportive.
    As much as we love gathering, it's always nice to get back to your own life. Hope things continue to improve for you and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sunny, we have our disagreements, but we always seem to manage to be there for each other when we need to...it is what i wish for my kids. Talking daily with mom, she is optimistic.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  10. I remember that song and it sounds like life was an illustration of that last week. I'm so happy your mom is recovering and that your family could face this situation together. Much love and light to you and your family through this time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faerie....we are fortunate to have each other...and such wonderful friends.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  11. Abby,

    So happy to hear your mom rallied and is recovering.

    That is one of my favourite songs.

    Love and hugs,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how music comes into our lives, i had not thought of that song in a very long time...then last week, i could hear it over and over.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  12. Glad you enjoyed the celebrations but sorry it ended with difficulty. Thinking of you and your mom and sending healing energy and good thoughts your way. Hope you are finding comfort with your Master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terp, i have de-stressed and feeling much better.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  13. Glad to hear you're feeling better and so glad your mom pulled through my friend.Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....it sure helps to have Master and all of you.
      hugs abby

      Delete
  14. Being in that position where we are looking out for aged parents and children and grandchildren is always tough. Emotionally exhausting doesn't even scratch the surface. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you much for your comment and your prayers. It is emotionally exhausting, trying to be what everyone needs.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete