Saturday, January 29, 2011

dad......

Last week was a tough week. Babysitting was going fine...altho i had forgotten how much "stuff" you have to pack and lug when taking an 18 month old someplace. I had plans for Maya and i to drive to Maine on Friday (21st), when Boston got 12 inches of snow. They have a LOT of snow! So, i called and said we would travel on Saturday. Before i had a chance to leave Sat. morning, i got a call....dad had died early that morning in his sleep.

My dad was a man of few words, a wonderful sense of humor, a strong sense of duty, and a firm determination that family always came first. He had 10 older brothers and a younger sister. His dad left the family when he was 3, so his childhood was difficult. All of his brothers served in WWII, my dad lying about his age to enlist. He worked doubly hard to be sure his family had everything he never had.

He is no longer here, but he lives on. He taught all of his 10 grandchildren to play cribbage, til they were good enough to give him a challenge. When the great-grands came along, we knew the rocking chair would be rocking again, while he whistled all of the Big Band tunes. He left us all with lessons and gifts...and a wonderful legacy of love.

Love you more dad...
abby

6 comments:

  1. im sooo sorry for your loss
    hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss.

    I got the same call one Christmas Eve; it doesn't get better but it gets easier. Hold onto the good times and share the stories you remember about him or that he told you with your family and friends. That's the best way to honor his memory and what will help you as well.

    magdala~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby,
    I'm so sorry for you and so happy that you dad sounds like a man who truly deserves the reward he has now found. He's from the generation and background of my father. I lost him 6 years ago. I miss him and Mom still but I was surprised at the rich memories that come. In those memories they are young and healthy. The vision on him sick and feeble has greatly faded.

    You and your family are in my thoughts.

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby,

    I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I loved your words of the time he spent and gave to all the grand and great grand children. I hope those memories will see you through and help your heart find peace. Keeping you and your family in thoughts and prayers.

    Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hisflower....thank You, hugs always help.

    magdala....Good advice. Good way to always keep him with us.

    PK...Thanks for sharing. There are so many good memories and visions of dad...those are the ones i want to keep.

    Sweetsassy...Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, my blogging friends are wonderful!

    abby

    ReplyDelete
  6. abby, although no amount of "I'm sorry for your loss" will change anything, I truly am. My dad died in August and I know how incredibly difficult of an experience it is.
    Everyone's circumstances are unique, but know that you are not alone. Many blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete